Riyadh Development Authority (RDA) is executing a program to monitor and effectively manage and enhance urban and suburban greening in the Capital of Saudi Arabia, Riyadh. Riyadh’s urban area is 3,115 sqkm with a developed area of 1400 sqkm and the suburban/rural area around the city is 5960 sqkm (2019).
Riyadh, despite some green infrastructure projects such as Wadi Hanifa, the Diplomatic Quarter, the King Abdul Aziz Historical Centre, the King Fahad Road and Salam Park, has a limited percentage of city’s vegetation and canopy: 1.51% and 0.41% respectively.
‘’Green Riyadh’’ Strategy carries out the Vision to increase green coverage and to improve livability in the city.
The program aims to strategically increase the quality and quantity of all vegetation in both urban and suburban setting and develop a planned interconnected network of natural and semi-natural areas with other environmental features designed and managed to deliver a wide range of ecosystem services.
The project targets to increase vegetation coverage in Riyadh from the current 1.5% to 9.1% in 2030.
The targets of green coverage increase are:
- 3,331 neighborhood parks with 10 sqkm
- 43 city parks with 70 sqkm
- 272 km linear of wadis with 103 sqkm
- 8,878 mosques with 3 sqkm
- 64 higher education facilities with 10 sqkm
- 5,929 schools with 10 sqkm
- 1,665 government buildings with 38 sqkm
- 387 medical facilities with 4 sqkm
- 175,000 empty plots with 83 sqkm
- 270 km linear of public transit networks with 0,5 sqkm
- 16,400 km linear of streets and roads
- 2,000 of parking plots with 3 sqkm
- 1,100 km linear of utility corridors with 46 sqkm
- 390,000 private properties and 11 sqkm
Egis is responsible for leading the ‘’Green Riyadh Strategy’’ planning and execution in line with the strategy progress and the Steering Committee’s Vision.
The team of experts will deliver the following tasks:
- Manage the strategy progress, the quality, and the available resources
- Monitor and report progress barriers and mitigation measures to overcome those barriers
- Provide consulting services to RDA and the stakeholders regarding the current regulatory and incentives status (as identified in the approved strategy) along with recommendations for enhancement
- Prepare tender documents for selection of contractors, and evaluation of the received tenders with RDA for selection of the contractor.
- Cooperate with the public relations team to promote strategy implementation and public awareness.
- Follow up with contractors/concessionaires and prepare technical reports, evaluate drawings, designs, estimates, site surveys and feasibility reports
- High level supervision of construction/maintenance activities and reporting
- Ongoing monitoring of the overall Strategy and recommendations, through an annual report, of strategic amendments or additions to reflect experience gained through implementation
The tasks are organized into 4 groups:
- Control and Governance of the Strategy
- Regulation and incentive support
- Construction high level supervision
- Training and knowledge transfer